Thursday, July 12, 2007

Searching for Corn Buntings

Yesterday evening I went for a stroll to chceck out the Corn Bunting population near my mother's home in Hawley, near Dartford. Most of the oilseed rape had already been harvested, leaving just a few fields of wheat standing. I saw a few Skylarks and Linnets but no buntings; quite unusual.

A few other birds were around: Swift, Swallow, Wood Pigeon and a singing Whitethroat, but it wasn't until the last field that I saw a Corn Bunting, followed by another and another....
I counted 22 all in just about 1 hectare of land. Many were juveniles with just 3 calling males. Strangely these were the only Corn Buntings I saw. I hope that this isn't all that is left otherwise theyare in trouble here. I think more likely that most of the population is already lying low, moulting after completing breeding quite early.

Not much else on the way back, just Magpie, Carrion Crow and Stock Dove, but that is expected - Corn Buntings are the only real speciality of these arable fields.

No comments: