Thursday, July 12, 2007

Darenth Valley, 11th July 2007

Home for a few days, visiting my family so I decided to make the most of the time with a walk along my old local patch along the Darenth Valley near Dartford in Kent. I walked the section between Hawley and Sutton-at-Hone which includes gravel pits, alder woodland, hay fields, pasture and watercress beds. Over a period of about 25 years I have seen a surprising number of species along here - 109 at the last count. Mind you I didn't really expect to add to that on this walk.

Not a huge amount around, due to both the time of year and the time of day of the walk, but a few nice birds were seen. The local Ring-necked Parakeet population continues to grow with at least four pairs with young seen; 10 years ago this species hadn't made it this far out of London, but now they are ever increasing in number. A few warblers continue to sing with a couple of Blackcaps, a Chiffchaff and a Whitethroat and a number of common birds such as Linnet, Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Great Tit.

Whilst searching for more Parakeets I noticed a sub adult Grey Heron sitting on a wall. a common species but one I always like to see; it has been one of my favourites since I was a kid.

The lakes held almost nothing with just a couple of Mallard, two Tufted Ducks, a bunch of Greylag Geese and plenty of Coots with young. Just a single Moorhen and 2 Black-headed Gulls.
The watercress beds were very quiet too, but at least there was a Kingfisher present. This spot is much better in winter when it is a reliable location for Green Sandpiper; however, it is one of the prettiest spots along this section of the valley and a place that holds a lot of memories for me. The most amazing was in a very hard winter in 1985 or 86 or maybe 87 (I must be getting old, I can't remember) when a Bittern flushed out of the cress bed only a few feet in front of myself and my father. The water comes out of a spring and in winter is often the only unfrozen water for miles around.

Not much else was seen, Swallow, House Martin and Swift, and a few Stock Doves along with the more common species. On my way back I came across a number of wild plum trees and helped myself to the ripe fruit. Whilst munching these I noticed a badger sett in the hedgerow - this was confirmed by a number of black and white, wiry hairs in the sett entrance.

No comments: