Friday, July 20, 2007

Eel Tarn and Burnmoor Tarn

I decided to go to the Lake District National Park for a few days, despite the weather forecast being for rather poor weather. The national park took me about 3 hours to get to, but the journey took another hour as I was heading for the western lakes, probably the most spectacular part.

I headed into Eskedale and found a B&B at the foot of Hardknott Pass, a place called Wha House Farm. It was a nice place to stay with lovely views and the lady running it was very friendly. The weather forecast was wrong, with fairly good weather, just a little cloud and only on the highest mountains, so I went off for a walk at about 3.45pm. Starting at the Woolpack Inn, I headed uphill to Eel Tarn. A number of birds were easily seen with a Greenfinch at the pub and a Willow Warbler in the trees just behind. A small conifer plantation behind the Woolpack Inn provided the launching point for 2 male Redpolls to perform their song flight. Unexpectedly, the bracken covered hillside was full of Yellowhammers in song, the dark colour of the bracken providing a perfect contrast for the vivid colour of the male Yellowhammers.

After a short climb I reached Eel Tarn, a very pretty spot with views of Harter Fell in one direction and Scafell Pike in another. A pair of Ravens flew overhead and on the tarn itself were two Mallard and a Little Grebe; both seemed a little out of place up here.


Eel Tarn and Harter Fell

It felt a bit strange to be up there again as the last time I visited Eel Tarn was 27 years ago when I was just 7 years old. My father used to take me for walks up there whilst my mother was getting ready to go out on our family holidays to a farm in Eskedale; needless to say the views are as good as ever although it was sad that my father is no longer here to join me on this walk.

With plenty of time before darkness I decided to walk further along to Burnmoor Tarn, another place I last visited as a child with my dad. The walk provided great views of nearby Scafell Pike as the clouds cleared to reveal the summit, although the footpath was soaked and lost amongst Sphagnum Moss and Bog Asphodel. Just as I was thinking that I should have seen more birds, a male Whinchat began calling from nearby bracken. It gave me good views for quite some time. Also showing themselves were a Wren and a Kestrel.

After sinking up to my knees in mud I reached a lonely Burnmoor Tarn where a strange hunting lodge is situated. On the lake were a pair of Great Crested Grebes and two pairs of Wheatears with young noisily feeding and fighting. The only tree for miles around is located next to the lodge and a Tree Pipit had managed to find it; funny how easy this is to seperate from Meadow Pipit when the two are seen close to each other - up here it is a Meadow Pipit heaven.

On the way back down into the valley I saw some more Whinchats before walking through some woodland where I saw a number of species: Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Coal Tit and a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker. I walked back to the Woolpack Inn along the valley, through more woodland and farmyards and just before getting back to the car a Grey Heron flew out of a small stream and a Common Buzzard flew overhead.

Then off to the George the Fourth pub for chicken and leek pie which by that time was urgently needed.

No comments: