Monday, May 14, 2007

A terrapin in the sun

On Saturday morning (12/05/07) I went looking for a marsh orchid that had been found by a friend last week. No matter how long I searched for it, I couldn't find the damned thing! Despite wind and some rain, I did manage to see a few birds. Three Little Ringed Plovers were easily seen as they were chasing each other about and 3 Redshank are still hanging on in what little water remains. Low numbers of Lapwings are still present too, but I think most of the nests have failed by now.

5 Shelduck were rather fidgety, constantly flying around, landing for a few seconds and then flying around again, and an Oystercatcher came to join them in this activity. A nice surprise was a female Wheatear and a male Yellow Wagtail and as I left, a group of House Martins were swept in, in advance of a rain cloud.

I continued along the river Hull to Eske where, after some rain, the sun came out. Although the water level was low, the only waders around were the pair of noisy Oystercatchers, still busily chasing Carrion Crows away from their nest. On the lake 6 Wigeon were present for only a short time, but the lone male Wigeon that has been hanging around remained after the other 6 departed. The female Goldeneye is also still present. Other ducks were Mallard, Tufted Duck and Gadwall. Two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls seem to have made this place their home for the last few weeks and today they were still present, feeding and resting. Nothing much else of note around, the usual warblers, finches etc, but a Great Spotted Woodpecker put in a brief appearance.

The most interesting sighting today wasn't a bird at all, but a Terrapin basking on some dead wood in a small sheltered pool. I saw this one, about a year ago in the same place, but this time I had my camera with me and got a reasonable photo

This terrapin is quite big, about a foot long, and no doubt was once someone's pet Ninja Turtle before it got too big. Plenty of Wall Brown butterflies were to be seen, they'd obviously all just emerged and I got a photo of one of these too.

No comments: