Monday, May 28, 2007

Eske 25th May

Last Wednesday the weather was really sunny so I went for another stroll up to Eske. Most of the usual species were easily seen with lots of Swifts swooping around and Skylarks singing. However, the grass was being cut for silage in a field to the east of the path; any Skylarks or Meadow Pipits nesting there were out of luck!

Scanning the farms to the west revealed monday's Egyptian Goose grazing in some set aside where some Lapwing chicks were also feeding along with large numbers of Starlings bathing in what little water remained.

Up at the lake a strange double honk drew my attention to a group of Swans and to my amazement I spotted a Bewick's Swan displaying to a pair of Mute Swans. Watching this bird revealed that it was very confused as it displayed to families of Greylag Geese and then tried to grab the goslings. Another pair of Mute Swans landed in the lake and the Bewick's Swan flew over to them and attempted to mate with the female bird! Unfortunately, I had taken a very grainy photo of the Bewick's when I first saw it and drained the last vestiges of power from the batteries of my camera, so wasn't able to video this bizarre behaviour, even though it was all very close.


At the north end of the lake 2 Cuckoos were calling from dead trees, occasionally being mobbed by Sedge and Reed Warblers. Walking around the lake also revealed the Terrapin resting on a log, a Slow Worm and my first Common Blue butterflies of the year along with lots of Orange Tips and Wall Browns.


The only other birds of note were the female Goldeneye (no sign of the Wigeon though) and a family of Chaffinches with 3 fledged chicks. On my way back the Egyptian Goose was swimming around in the River Hull only about 20 feet away from me, but as I stood chatting with a farmer it flew away onto some pasture where it joined some cattle grazing.

No comments: