Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Swinemoor and Eske

Another walk to both Swinemoor and Eske turned up some more interesting things. On Swinemoor, Shelduck, Lapwings, Redshank, Snipe and Little Ringed Plover were all still present as were plenty of other common migrants.

The still weather meant that lots of birds were out catching insects and this meant that 100s of Swifts were hawking around. At some places they were hunting around my feet, giving me fantastic close-up views. On the lake the usual suspects were there, along with the female Goldeneye. In the reeds Reed and Sedge Warblers were noisily singing, but probably the most interesting species was a calling Treecreeper, just the second time I've seen one here and in exactly the same place as the last time.

On the way back the Little Owl was outside its roosting hole and watching me as I was watching it!

A number of interesting plants are out in flower now and I took some photos of a very bright flowering broom Sarothamnus scoparius.


No comments: