Friday, December 14, 2012

Thailand Birding: Black-legged Kittiwake

Today a trip to Laem Pak Bia sand spit turned up quite a surprise -a Black-legged Kittiwake!

Black-legged Kittiwake at Laem Pak Bia, digiscoped by Mr Daeng

As Mr Daeng landed his boat on the sand spit a group of gulls and terns took flight and as I looked at them through my binoculars I instantly realized that I could see a first winter Kittiwake. I called to Mr Daeng to take a look before it disappeared but luckily it landed back on the beach allowing us to look at it for more than 15 minutes; Mr Daeng used my camera and telescope to obtain the above photograph.

Eventually the bird flew out to sea not to be seen again either by us or the next group of birdwatchers who went out to the spit later in the day.

No comments: