Friday, February 2, 2007

Neglected blog and British birding.

So, having created this blog I've rather neglected it over the past week or so. The thing is that every time I go out, I just see the same birds. Not only does this become a little tedious, but I'm sure it doesn't make good reading. I have actually been out over the last week, but forgot to write the trips up.

Last monday (29th January) I walked up to Eske again, and in fact saw quite a few interesting birds. A number of Goldeneye were in the river Hull and on the lake, a total of about 8-10 birds, two of which were males. Bags of ducks on the lake with one of the male Pintails having made a return. Larger number of Tufted Duck than usual with probably about 50 birds, with a couple of Pochard and loads of Wigeon and Mallard, a few Gadwall and Teal but no Shoveler. The best birds were beyond the lake; 7 Whooper Swans in a field with 36 Mute Swans. Whilst watching these a Barn Owl came along the river and shortly after another flew out of some rough grass; a different bird as it was much darker than the first. In addition there were plenty of finches, tits and thrushes, with probably the most notable passerines being a small flock of 9 Yellowhammers and 2 Reed Buntings.


7 Whoopers & 3 Mute Swans

Not such a bad trip but I have found myself spending most of my time developing my birdwatching in Thailand website: thaibirding.com instead of looking for British birds. Today I was reading Joe Cockram's blog where his latest posting is titled "British Birding Sucks", a bit harsh maybe, but he's just returned from a seven month trip to Australia and Thailand. Both of these countries have high levels of biodiversity and birds are just everywhere - loads of species too! The sentiments he expresses pretty much sum up how I sometimes feel about birding in Britain. Still, I find it possible to get enthusiastic about my own "patches" and hopefully I will be able to write plenty here about the species migrating along the Hull valley over the next few months - I have to do a college assignment on Swinemoor common, so that should get me out there and give me something to wite about.

No comments: