Saturday, January 20, 2007

Chaffinches at last!

Almost three weeks into 2007 I finally saw my first Chaffinch of the year. It's almost unbelievable that one of the UK's most common species has eluded me for this long. Not that I've been searching for it or anything, it's just that I've been out enough times that I should have bumped into it before now, even if I haven't been more than a couple of miles from Beverley.

Anyway, my Chaffinch was seen in the courtyard of Bishop Burton College's Higher Education block, yesterday afternoon, where there are some bird feeders. A nice male was happily foraging around on the floor, having apparently been disappointed to find that the feeders were empty, only to enter into an altercation with a female over some controversial food item.

It reminded me of my wife and I when we go shopping.

1 comment:

Simon Tonkin said...

Where have you been, there are Chaffinch's calling all over Beverley and Bishop Burton and you only managed to just see one and only thanks to Rose and I!!!!

Get it sorted Upton you are a disgrace!!